Notices

Old 17th April 2024, 02:06   #174111
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
The bad news is.....The Canon R full frame Mirrorless cameras use a new lens mount (RF) and would require adaptors to use my existing (EF) mount lenses.

I would not want to have to use adaptors in between the body and lens and replacing all my glass to new RF versions will require a massive investment.
Two Canon R3 bodies and all the replacement lenses (even used) would be well north of £15,000.....It might have to wait a while

I might however consider getting a used R5 and an 85mm f1.4 RF mount lens for my cat photos and portrait work.
I'll keep the big guns for everything else.

All depends on how much work comes in though to justify it. Not nearly busy enough at the moment, only working three days a week on average!

Full frame will make a difference Phil. Much less noise at higher ISO settings and the files just seem to carry a little more dynamic range to them . I would think it will serve you well for video and for stills
Good morning Jeff

Thank you for those thoughts and knowledgeable insight's, much appreciated.

If you didn’t want to spend 15,000 plus on a new set up with Canon, why not look at another cheaper brand such as Nikon or Fujitsu or Sony, even used. What is the favourite mirrorless camera at camera club, just curious?

My Olympus lenses will fit the LUMIX full frame body. What I don’t like about the new and old Olympus mirrorless camera is how the megapixels have failed to exceed 20MP. At 20MP there are still great photos to be had, but it feels as though Olympus is trailing behind the other main brands.

Last week on safari, I could have done with another camera as I missed some great shots waisting time changing lenses and focusing up. I wished I had taken the Canon Superzoom bridge camera which doesn’t require any lens changes, a lesson learned

Tell me Jeff, does the Ninja take all of the fat out of the roast potatoes and gammon? I ask as I am on a low fat/fat free diet.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 05:09   #174112
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
That wasn't taken yesterday! I recognise nearly all the faces, can put names to most of them.

By the way . . . . I'm an idiot I got overconfident yesterday, didn't use the crutch all day and I'm suffering today because of it.

Kinda wild here today, strong wind but dry.
Good morning Steve

I found the photo in the archives and decided to display it in an attempt to cheer you up, no malice was intended, an old photo. Back in the day when we met up in the restaurant with Ging, yourself, Big G, Brian and who else was there, you were a happy chappie. I wish you the very best for healthier and good times.

How are Ging and the girls doing?

Positive thoughts
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 06:55   #174113
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Morning everyone.

My, there's been a lot of falling over, injuries, illness and other unwanted events over the last few days .

Good luck and get well soon to all that are in this unfortunate position.

On a positive note Quizzie's been out and about...

Just look at those beautiful brown eyes....

But those that know her also know that there's an ulterior motive...

And I can't blame her, it was lovely .

Take care all.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 08:10   #174114
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Morning all, Bright sunshine this morning for a change, Looking like a changeable day & that north wind is cold too. The temps are set to drop to 1C overnight, I'm going to have to cover all the seedlings in the greenhouses with sheets of bubble-wrap, I thought I'd finished with that malarkey

LOL You just can't resist those eyes Andy.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 09:25   #174115
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Morning. Pee'd off this morning! Yesterday afternoon had barely a twinge from the hip, fully intended venturing out this morning, just along to the local Co-op . . . . ain't happening, hobbling around with the crutch again. Need a few things but didn't ask Ging to get anything on the way home because I thought I'd be going out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I found the photo in the archives and decided to display it in an attempt to cheer you up, no malice was intended
Not for one micro second did I think there was any malice behind you posting the pic Phil, not sure why you said that
Quote:
Left to right: Rich, Carter Bar piper, me, not sure, George, Stu, Graham, Brian, Nigel(?), not sure who the last two are.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 17th April 2024 at 09:28..
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 14:13   #174116
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Good morning Jeff

Thank you for those thoughts and knowledgeable insight's, much appreciated.

If you didn’t want to spend 15,000 plus on a new set up with Canon, why not look at another cheaper brand such as Nikon or Fujitsu or Sony, even used. What is the favourite mirrorless camera at camera club, just curious?

My Olympus lenses will fit the LUMIX full frame body. What I don’t like about the new and old Olympus mirrorless camera is how the megapixels have failed to exceed 20MP. At 20MP there are still great photos to be had, but it feels as though Olympus is trailing behind the other main brands.

Last week on safari, I could have done with another camera as I missed some great shots waisting time changing lenses and focusing up. I wished I had taken the Canon Superzoom bridge camera which doesn’t require any lens changes, a lesson learned

Tell me Jeff, does the Ninja take all of the fat out of the roast potatoes and gammon? I ask as I am on a low fat/fat free diet.
Hi Phil,

The cost for professional mirrorless cameras and lenses regardless of make would be much the same.
I need pro spec bodies as consumer level camera bodies would not last and I need reliability when shooting for clients. 'Tis why I carry two cameras (just in case)
The 1DX bodies are weather sealed, magnesium bodied and have shutter mechanisms that are rated for far more actuations than the consumer cameras.

Having shot Canon since going digital I would also not want to have to learn all the different menu systems and button layouts.

The Canon R3 is the nearest equivalent to my Canon 1DX as they have not yet released the 'top of the line' R1 body .

To be honest Phil, apart from the weight saving and an articulated screen there is nowt for me to gain.

As for lenses. I could never downgrade from the 'fast' constant aperture glass.
You will never get the stunning bokeh, shallow depth of field and super fast focusing on cheaper optics.

All of this is pretty immaterial if you are shooting for yourself, but commercial becomes a different ball game.

As for cheap. Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc all have pro spec bodies which are every bit as pricy as Canon

With camera club shooters (the better togs) I would say it very much depends on what genre of photography they mostly do. Wildlife seems to be Nikon, Sports Canon, Landscape Sony, Street photography Fuji. There are also Om Systems (Olympus), Panasonic and Pentax shooters in the club as well.

Most use Dslr or Mirrorless cameras and there are a few members using Bridge cameras.

All cameras are more than capable of achieving great results so brand isn't that important. For me it's a case of making sure it can take a battering in all weathers. Sadly, that is what costs the money

On a good week I take on average of 2000 images. The shutter box mechs wouldn't last very long on the consumer cameras at that rate.

I like to think of it like a builder drilling a hole in the wall. A Black&Decker would do as good a job as a Dewalt. It will however only do so many holes before it runs out of puff

The upshot of all that lot is......I ain't going mirrorless anytime soon, not until such time as my hand is forced, camera expires etc and/or the prices come down.
I just don't want to different systems or brands where I need to stop and think how to use it. Having two of the same cameras means I can swap all the accessories between them and my muscle memory knows instinctively where everything is without having to look away from the viewfinder.

For anyone shooting as a hobby, go out to the shops and have a play and see what suits you. Any camera is more than capable of stunning results .

Ninja......My other favourite subject.
In answer to your question, air fryers (stupid name really as they don't fry anything) use much less oil. The Roast potatoes, I just par boil them . Lightly spray oil on them and cook them directly on the crisper plates. So they don't sit in oil/fat and are much better.

The fat off of any meat also drains away from the meat below the crisper plates so your joints don't sit in their own juices either.
As the meat juices collect below you can still use them to make gravy etc.

Also, cooking times are greatly reduced so they are cheaper to run.

I haven't used the built in oven for months. Only the hob gets used these days.

Toad in the hole I'll be making tonight.....Watch this space

Last edited by coolcat; 17th April 2024 at 14:19..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 14:16   #174117
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Lovey sunny day here and Cubby is very happy

Cubby by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
Old 17th April 2024, 14:41   #174118
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Afternoon all. Now back in the land of the living. Not very well yesterday, think the long drive over the weekend had caught up with me. All I wanted to do was sleep and I had no appetite.

Just back from my 3 camera procedure at Liskeard Hospital. A very unpleasant experience.

233,509. Thats our 3rd meet done. Might go again next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 15:01   #174119
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

We've had plenty of sunshine today, but there's no heat to it with that cold north-westerly blowing, It's jumper & jacket weather out there.
Just been covering all the plants up in the greenhouses with bubble-wrap as the temps are going to plummet overnight. I thought we were in Spring?

Roast gammon dinner looks tasty Jeff, I like me some roast gammon & keep forgetting to put it on the shopping list

I got the rest of that meat & potato pie I made last week out of the freezer for tea tonight with some boiled taters, marrowfat peas & gravy.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2024, 15:31   #174120
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
We've had plenty of sunshine today, but there's no heat to it with that cold north-westerly blowing,
Its much the same here, bright, sunny and baltic!

Had to resort to the local Co-op's delivery service earlier, I was fine yesterday afternoon/evening and looking forward to getting out today but my hip said no, in no uncertain terms NO.

Jeff, if you are interested I have a Box Brownie complete with its canvas case

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote