Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2015, 08:25   #21
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

On a second note, it might be worth it to change the part where it says "1080 DPI". This is very misleading. DPI stand for Dots Per Inch. Which is actually incorrectly used here, because it refers to the amounts of ink-dots a printer can set on a piece of paper. (otherwise it should be PPI - Pixels Per Inch, which is used in screen resolutions)
So basically you are referring to the sharpness of a printer... ???

It could possible be that it should say 1080P or 1080I. But that is impossible. The screen would have to be 1920x1080 to allow for this. The unit only has 1024x600. And the carrier (the cable) needs to be made for digital signal, and not just a standard 2-core component cable.

You also (again... ) say that it offers HD "HD 1024*600 resolution". This is still not HD. HD starts with 1280(horizontal)x720(vertical) (HD ready), making 0.92megapixel. And goes up to 1920x1080 (making 2.1 megapixel). You screen is 1024x600 (which is to small in both horizontal and vertical direction to be HD) which makes for 0.61 megapixel.
You did this with Navall1 and Navall2. And even though I explained it to you then, you still use the term HD.

I'm not saying it's a bad unit. It might just be the ducks nutts. But this wrong way of advertising numbers and abbreviations really puts me off. It makes me feel like I'm reading some Chinlish rubbish that was typed by a Asian guy that had no clue what it all means. And in those cases, the information advertised is usually completely wrong. Making you buy something that will never live up to it's (advertised) expectations.
And I wish I didn't had to feel/think like that when looking at a product from Sean.
(and I also still wonder why you keep doing it this way...)

Very much looking forward to some reviews from people who used it in their car. Perhaps some reviews with comparisons between Navall 1/2 and Navall 3?

Edit: I would also like to know how much of the accessoires from Navall1 is compatible? Can I continue using my dashcam with Navall3? Can I keep using my USB and 1.3mm Jack connection? Will I be able to continue using my TV receiver? And (this was a big no-no about Navall2 for me...) will it provide setting for the sound? (in the same manner that Navall1 had those!)
And will the RDS work this time?

Last edited by Supervinnie40; 11th March 2015 at 08:39..
Supervinnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 09:18   #22
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
On a second note, it might be worth it to change the part where it says "1080 DPI". This is very misleading. DPI stand for Dots Per Inch. Which is actually incorrectly used here, because it refers to the amounts of ink-dots a printer can set on a piece of paper. (otherwise it should be PPI - Pixels Per Inch, which is used in screen resolutions)
So basically you are referring to the sharpness of a printer... ???

It could possible be that it should say 1080P or 1080I. But that is impossible. The screen would have to be 1920x1080 to allow for this. The unit only has 1024x600. And the carrier (the cable) needs to be made for digital signal, and not just a standard 2-core component cable.

You also (again... ) say that it offers HD "HD 1024*600 resolution". This is still not HD. HD starts with 1280(horizontal)x720(vertical) (HD ready), making 0.92megapixel. And goes up to 1920x1080 (making 2.1 megapixel). You screen is 1024x600 (which is to small in both horizontal and vertical direction to be HD) which makes for 0.61 megapixel.
You did this with Navall1 and Navall2. And even though I explained it to you then, you still use the term HD.

I'm not saying it's a bad unit. It might just be the ducks nutts. But this wrong way of advertising numbers and abbreviations really puts me off. It makes me feel like I'm reading some Chinlish rubbish that was typed by a Asian guy that had no clue what it all means. And in those cases, the information advertised is usually completely wrong. Making you buy something that will never live up to it's (advertised) expectations.
And I wish I didn't had to feel/think like that when looking at a product from Sean.
(and I also still wonder why you keep doing it this way...)

Very much looking forward to some reviews from people who used it in their car. Perhaps some reviews with comparisons between Navall 1/2 and Navall 3?

Edit: I would also like to know how much of the accessoires from Navall1 is compatible? Can I continue using my dashcam with Navall3? Can I keep using my USB and 1.3mm Jack connection? Will I be able to continue using my TV receiver? And (this was a big no-no about Navall2 for me...) will it provide setting for the sound? (in the same manner that Navall1 had those!)
And will the RDS work this time?
There is a lot there for Sean to digest
Vinnie, why don`t you offer Sean a paragraph or two as to how you would phrase it?? you seem to know your stuff, way to technical for me, my mate tried once to explain it when HD TV`s were coming very popular.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 10:19   #23
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I wouldn't really know how.

The first thing I mention (the 1080DPI thing). I don't even know what they want to say with that. It's not 1080P (or I) in resolution (because Interlaced or Progressive is digital, and component is analog). So it can't be that. So would they mean 1080 in total? But that would mean (in this ratio) it's not more then 42x25 pixels. (which is really small). So I just don't understand what they want to say with that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

The second part is pretty clear I hope. There is a definition of what can be called HD. And this screen is below the minimum for HD (which is 720 vertical and/or 1280 horizontal). It is actually WSVGA and nothing more then that. (you don't call a Fiat 500 a Ferrari 500 in the hope that it will sell better...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

I'm not having a dig at Sean or his products. I adore my Navall1 and Sean has proven to provide excellent customer service (together with Jeff (Coolcat).
But I made him aware of these wrongly used terms with the Navall1 and later with the Navall2. And now there is the Navall3 and again, terms and abbreviations are used that are simply not correct. Which makes me wonder; what other claims aren't correct? Perhaps it doesn't even have a quad core? Or perhaps the memory is DDR2 instead of the advertised DDR3. Because I spotted the mistakes I mention above, I start to doubt all of the other advertised claims as well.
And seeing as Sean being a great guy, I don't see how these mistakes can benefit in any way. Just advertise what it is, just be honest about the specifications. Don't give anybody any reason to doubt the honesty of the advertised specs. I just don't know what to believe anymore in these cases....

Last edited by Supervinnie40; 11th March 2015 at 10:23..
Supervinnie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 13:11   #24
Radioguy
Banned

None

Quote:
I wouldn't really know how.

The first thing I mention (the 1080DPI thing). I don't even know what they want to say with that. It's not 1080P (or I) in resolution (because Interlaced or Progressive is digital, and component is analog). So it can't be that. So would they mean 1080 in total? But that would mean (in this ratio) it's not more then 42x25 pixels. (which is really small). So I just don't understand what they want to say with that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

The second part is pretty clear I hope. There is a definition of what can be called HD. And this screen is below the minimum for HD (which is 720 vertical and/or 1280 horizontal). It is actually WSVGA and nothing more then that. (you don't call a Fiat 500 a Ferrari 500 in the hope that it will sell better...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

I'm not having a dig at Sean or his products. I adore my Navall1 and Sean has proven to provide excellent customer service (together with Jeff (Coolcat).
But I made him aware of these wrongly used terms with the Navall1 and later with the Navall2. And now there is the Navall3 and again, terms and abbreviations are used that are simply not correct. Which makes me wonder; what other claims aren't correct? Perhaps it doesn't even have a quad core? Or perhaps the memory is DDR2 instead of the advertised DDR3. Because I spotted the mistakes I mention above, I start to doubt all of the other advertised claims as well.
And seeing as Sean being a great guy, I don't see how these mistakes can benefit in any way. Just advertise what it is, just be honest about the specifications. Don't give anybody any reason to doubt the honesty of the advertised specs. I just don't know what to believe anymore in these cases....

Well Vinnie , I dont want to be argumentative, just want to clarify, I Just googled (and I Quote) "Is 1024 x 600 High resolution" and it seems alot of others believe it to be so as well. I never really delved this deeply into it just accepted was was told to me that these are HD. No one is trying to be misleading in any way and thank you for your kind words. I have a feeling I am about to learn something.
MY search CLICK HERE

the 1080 I will Check further with the factory.

Its a Quadcore etc. Right Jeff? I( dont think anyone would make those claims that could be easily dispelled.

I will tell you a little story

Years ago as the units were developing , DUAL ZONE was used as a term that allowed for Navigation in the front while watching a movie in the rear.
In my advertising and correspondence I told people that was NOT true Dual Zone, Dual Zone was truly Watching a Movie in fromnt and the unit having ability to send another Movie (from a Different Source) to rar Or Roof monitors.
Today Dual Zone is accepted as the Former definition.

I have a feeling that the argument would be due to screen size , the quality of the visual will be the argument and the technical aspect will be overruled by the Market.

I Will put it to the factory for THEIR comments

thanks for your insight
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 16:18   #25
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Again, I'm not having a dig at you Sean (or Jeff). And I've only had positive encounters with you both. (even though my commentary might sound like I'm just being negative nancy ).

High resolution isn't the same as high definition. Even though the term "High Definition" is a bit strange (it's almost like saying it's High Clarity or High Sharpness...). Just like the difference between a digital camera and a Single-reflex camera are different.
And the screen in the Navall 1, 2 or 3 aren't HD. The Navall3 has WSVGA. Which is less then HD.
It does have a higher resolution than the Navall 1 or 2. So it's still an upgrade. More pixels means more details and more sharpness (if the source allows for it).

Regarding the quad core etc. This just as an example. I'm sure you are just putting on paper what you've been told. So I can't really blame you for this. If my car dealer tells me that my car has 200 BHP, I would probably just believe him. I think the blame should go to the manufacturer that uses clever mistakes to fool people.
By saying "1080 DPI" a customer might interpret it as "1080I". If they come back to complain about it not being 1080I, the manufacturer will just say "We never claimed it has 1080I. We did mention 1080 DPI, but that is something completely different and unrelated to your complaint". It would be a little bit like a car dealer advertising that a certain has "250 BPH". You might read/interpret is as "250 BHP" and just think it's an innocent typo. But if your car turns out to have 100 BHP, and you go back to complain. They will just tell you that "250 BPH" has nothing to do with the amount of "BHP". They will just say "Didn't you notice the difference in spelling? The 2 are completely different things."

But I'm still very curious about the accessories:
- Will my Navall 1 rear-view camera work with this unit?
- Will the unit switch over to rear-view camera when I put the gears in reverse?
- Will the Navall 3 have audio setting like the Navall 1 has? (big downside of the Navall 2 for me)
- Will my digital TV receiver work with this unit?
- Will my dashcam work with this unit?
- Can I keep using my external USB connector?
- Can I keep using my external audio input?
- Will the RDS function fully work in Europe?

I hope these get answered in somebodies review.
Old 12th March 2015, 05:53   #26
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

I think I solved it all
If you playback on a HD TV, easy peasy answer, it`s going to be full HD.
What ever the spec is, it`s the Mk3 and you just have to have it
I`m glad I only have two cars though, one with the Mk2 and a new one coming soon with Mk3, they both had to have one otherwise one would car never get driven.
Keep up the good work Sean
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 09:42   #27
Spôôk
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Conn. SE

I don't know the Navall 1 specs, but what you describe below works on the Navall 2 with the latest update to mcu and Android 4.4.4. You said you ditched the Navall 2 because it didn't, which is a surprise to me. I am sure Sean or Jeff will put me right, but I cannot imagine those functions being removed in the Navall 3, which is using the same type of (upgraded) Android hardware.
Preben
Quote:
- Will the unit switch over to rear-view camera when I put the gears in reverse?
- Will the Navall 3 have audio setting like the Navall 1 has? (big downside of the Navall 2 for me)

Old 13th March 2015, 10:47   #28
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:

Hi Vinnie,

I'll let Sean deal with the advertising stuff.....not my department

-The reversing camera is car specific not head unit specific so will work fine with the standard rca phono input.

-Yes it should although the test unit in my car does not have the final loom so I can't verify this until the new units arrive. The factory have said yes though

-It has a three band eq plus sub output level control, I have found the sound quality to be excellent so far, although a firmware upgrade to add extra bands to the eq and crossover control would be more than welcome.

-A new dvb receiver and front dash cam specific to this unit will be made available.

-It has two rear mounted usb ports and also rca phono audio inputs

-RDS display and traffic anounce are working and the radio reception is solid in my car.
I have not been able to travel any distance to check the Alternative Frequency funcion as of yet.

Hope that helps a little Sir

Regarding the screen resolution whatever it is described as all I will say is wow.........much better than all that came before it and seems to deal with reflections very well.
Lovely vibrant and colour rich display that is as good as I've seen on a car radio

Also worth noting is that when the lights are dimmed on the dashboard the unit lights dim as well without flasing so that function works well now
Old 13th March 2015, 11:31   #29
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Thanks Jeff, those are a lot of answers I was hoping to find via somebodies review or experience.
Any possibility of getting a photo of the sound settings screen? So I see what options it offer.
As far as I get from your answers, I probably only have to get the new DVB reciever + antenna and a the new dashcam?

@Spôôk, The Navall 1 has a very extensive settings menu for the sound. It offers an 11 band equalizer and special setting for 3D, Subwoofer and loudness.
The Navall 2 does have a small setting menu for the sound, but not like the Navall 1. This doesn't allow for fine tuning the sound itself or the output to the subwoofer in the same way as the Navall 1 has.
This was one of the reasons I dropped the Navall 2. But it sounds like the Navall 3 is more like the Navall 1.
Old 13th March 2015, 12:41   #30
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Here you go