Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2016, 08:32   #1
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Stuck in "EP"

Rover 2.5 auto. On the way to work this morning (yes on a Sunday which makes it worse) stopped to get petrol, started up to find "EP" on display. Car starts fine but it seems that the gearbox is not changing gear at all, seems to be in 3rd. So limped home and picked up my trusty old transit, has anyone any ideas? Car has only 52k on it and for the couple of years I've had it been extremely reliable.
Could well do without it with crimble on the way!
Stu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 11:45   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Auto fluid

Try a battery reset first. Disconnect for 20 minutes. Then try disconnecting fuse 4 for 20 minutes with ignition on. This resets box.
If that fails, First and cheapest port of call is changing the transmission fluid. I had this happen on my first 75 and it was a tiny fluid leak around the black cover on the box ( located under air intake pipe beside front of battery ) which had obviously allowed a small amount out so it was not noticeable.

Changed and levelled fluid and problem gone. This does have to be done properly though.

Interestingly, with mine after battery reset it did not happen until you hit 50mph. Kept it below that for 10 days before changed fluid and the EP did not come back on. Soon as you hit 50 EP and limp home mode.

Best idea of course is to hook up to a T4 and get fault codes but this not possible for all.
Let me know how you get on. Be interesting to see if same. There are of course lots of other possible causes so fingers crossed a nice cheap fix like changing fluid.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 18:50   #3
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, I've gone through some of the older threads also, I'm off on Friday so will have a look and update. As said bit odd that it should just happen half way through a journey but that's electrics for you, Should stick to my much older classics!
Old 18th November 2016, 10:28   #4
Stu67
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Well an update on this as it's the first day off since it happened.

I'd like to say I'm a mechanical god and I did this or that and all was well when in reality I just went out turned it on and all was well. I took the opportunity to make sure the plenum was dry and changed the cabin filter as I had a spare.

I'll take it for a drive and see if it reoccurs, if not the best course may be AA membership for now. All a bit of a mystery