Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2016, 17:39   #1
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Default LH drive

I was just wondering if you bought a cheap L/H drive and a scrap R/H drive, would it be possible to swap all the bits from the R/H drive to the L/H drive to make it a R/H drive.

Not taking cost into account, would this be physically possible?
Old 8th August 2016, 17:44   #2
RoverRyan
Avid contributor

Rover 75

on cars that are 30 years old or more then yes but I would not touch any modern car to that extent. you would have to modify all the wiring to bring it to the other side. also 75 and ZT's are still readily available so I don't think it would be worth the hassle, unless you want to see if it can be done!

My Car...

was the 97,610th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
was the 2,001st 75 1.8 T Connoisseur to be made out of 2,392
was the 10,746th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
RoverRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 21:06   #3
DEVYL
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto Connoiseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
I was just wondering if you bought a cheap L/H drive and a scrap R/H drive, would it be possible to swap all the bits from the R/H drive to the L/H drive to make it a R/H drive.

Not taking cost into account, would this be physically possible?
First off all, LHD cars are more expensive and not so well maintained. ( my mk1 R75 2.5 v6 auto with all optional extras goes for around 5.000 euros around here , 3 times what u pay for it in UK )
Second of all, yes it is possible; someone around my city did it a couple of years ago with a facelift 1.8 T. His car was a complete bust ( many dented panels, engine was not working fine ). He bought a RHD car from here ( there are a lot of 75's from UK around here ) , used his car as a donor. The job took 5 working days, you cannot spot that a swap was made. Also a swap from manual diesel to auto diesel was made by a friend... nothing is impossible. I`ll do the same when I`ll find a "special" MG ZT / R75 around there ( options, condition, monogram color )

LE : you can swap car VIN's in Romania if they have the same body and fuel type engine. The RHD car took the VIN from his already registered LHD car; no paperwork had to be done

Last edited by DEVYL; 8th August 2016 at 21:09..
DEVYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 22:47   #4
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Yes the LHD cars are more expensive where LHD is the norm, but in the UK they are a lot cheaper, probably because they cost more to insure and nobody really wants them, I have seen a few with low mileage and good spec at very low prices, it was just a theoretical question really as I wondered if it might be cheaper to buy a LHD and convert it to a RHD.
Old 9th August 2016, 16:15   #5
DEVYL
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto Connoiseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
Yes the LHD cars are more expensive where LHD is the norm, but in the UK they are a lot cheaper, probably because they cost more to insure and nobody really wants them, I have seen a few with low mileage and good spec at very low prices, it was just a theoretical question really as I wondered if it might be cheaper to buy a LHD and convert it to a RHD.
Please show me those
Old 9th August 2016, 16:21   #6
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Certainly

http://www.motors.co.uk/car-42212108/2/sr

Others do pop up sometimes, all the ones I have seen have been inexpensive.