Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2022, 20:29   #21
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

its strange andy , as the old one that i fitted was in fact with a white impellor , but made from nylon,strong and very flexible. i wonder if these were from the old sterling V6 , as i had to fettle the holes slightly for the bolts . !!
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 20:44   #22
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
its strange andy , as the old one that i fitted was in fact with a white impellor , but made from nylon,strong and very flexible. i wonder if these were from the old sterling V6 , as i had to fettle the holes slightly for the bolts . !!
Thats weird Stefan, I have fitted a few with the plastic impellor and the holes were perfectly in line with the block!
Old 13th February 2022, 21:17   #23
VickersVC10

Rover

From bitter experience I'd avoid Circolli pumps due to leaks.

Airtex at least used to be what Land Rover supply, so I tend to stick with them.
VickersVC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 07:25   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickersVC10 View Post
I think a visual inspection of the pump for leaks and also play in the bearing is key ...
Observation, assessment, decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickersVC10 View Post
... but if the water pump begins to leak after the belts have been changed, its twice the labour costs.
Bear in mind that in Bob's case he has incurred far greater costs and inconvenience by taking the "what if" approach.
Quote:
... it seems a gamble not to change it ...
Bob and Cliff's posts in this thread show that it's also a gamble to change it! As Jay says, check for leaks and bearing wear and if none is found, leave well alone.

Simon
Old 14th February 2022, 12:54   #25
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

as to millage on water pumps , i suppose there are no set rules here to follow as in " how long is a piece of string." simon just a question ... i do know that you racked up quite a high millage with your rover 75 before eventually doing a belt change, but did you need a pump change during this period ? or was it the original pump ? if it was the original ... it does give me more optimism to retain my current pump, provided of course it checks out ok upon inspection. ...
Old 14th February 2022, 17:42   #26
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Water pumps

Dear All
Thanks for all the replies, Max from DMGRS has asked me to get hold of the siezed pump, if the garage still has it, I will probably have to send it down to them.

Just put 500 miles on my son's ZR, driving my 85 year old mother to a funeral, not a bad car but the ZT is much more comfortable on long journeys.
When I bought the belt kit, which included the pump, I thought I was doing the sensible thing and changing this when the belt was out of the engine, I always change them as a matter of course when I do belt changes on ZRs and TFs but I dont think I would have a go at changing a KV6, even with 45+ years of working on cars!

Big Russ has come across water pumps with plastic impelors which become detached from the pump body and try to make their escape!
Going to go busking in York to raise the cash to pay the repair bill which will be probably more that the worth of the car, but its just too good to scrap!
The alternative is to SORN it and wait for the price for fuel to go down or put a Tesla motor in it!!!! Now that would be interesting, has anyone tried this???

Best wishes to all,
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 19:01   #27
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
simon just a question ... i do know that you racked up quite a high mileage with your rover 75 before eventually doing a belt change, but did you need a pump change during this period? or was it the original pump?
Thanks for your question Stefan. No, I didn't need a water pump change during that period, it was the original pump.

You won't be surprised to know that I think the assumption that original factory water pumps need to be renewed without any fault symptoms is incorrect.

Simon
Old 14th February 2022, 19:51   #28
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

When I had the belts changed on my last 190 by Gavin, he made sure that the water pumps he uses have a metal impellor as the plastic ones were rubbish.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 20:21   #29
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

well thats good news ! my old new old stock pump i have on now has a white nylon impellor fitted. i dont think that will be brittle and snap like the cheaper plastic brittle versions. ....
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:14   #30
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Belt update

Dear All
Latest update on my snapped belt.
New valves and guides and machined heads are being done as I type, I might have the car back on Friday, I have forgotten what it is like to drive!!
Going to go busking in York for pay for it!!
Best wishes
Bob
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote