Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2012, 13:36   #21
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

So it would indeed appear to be pressure related

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 13:55   #22
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
So it would indeed appear to be pressure related
Oh it certainly is pressure related, the clue is 'it's a pressure switch'; but what does it do.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 14:02   #23
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
the clue is 'it's a pressure switch';
Oh my apologies for being so slow on the uptake there and thanks for pointing that out to me

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 14:13   #24
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
Just saying that's what I read. Can't answer the rest
You would expect some sort of pressure relief though when you get to full lock, or then again, perhaps it would be too dangerous to dump the pressure when you really need it. The steering would just become very stiff at full lock then, or it would try to self centralise again whilst you were trying to turn
The moment you start to move the steering wheel the centring valve closes the bypass closes and presurises the line in the rack that corresponds with the direction of travel.. Steering hydraulics react to movement of the steering wheel, so when no movement, no pressure.

Rotary Valve (Centring)

A power-steering system should assist the driver only when he is exerting force on the steering wheel (such as when starting a turn). When the driver is not exerting force (such as when driving in a straight line), the system shouldn't provide any assist. The device that senses the force on the steering wheel is called the rotary valve.
The key to the rotary valve is a torsion bar. The torsion bar is a thin rod of metal that twists when torque is applied to it. The top of the bar is connected to the steering wheel, and the bottom of the bar is connected to the pinion or worm gear (which turns the wheels), so the amount of torque in the torsion bar is equal to the amount of torque the driver is using to turn the wheels. The more torque the driver uses to turn the wheels, the more the bar twists.
The input from the steering shaft forms the inner part of a spool-valve assembly. It also connects to the top end of the torsion bar. The bottom of the torsion bar connects to the outer part of the spool valve. The torsion bar also turns the output of the steering gear, connecting to either the pinion gear or the worm gear depending on which type of steering the car has.
Old 19th August 2012, 19:33   #25
savi18
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur, Range Rover Sport

Hi All, thanks for all the posts but still need an answer to my first post is it the same part number as the engine oil switch, if not what is the Rover part no, Cheers Derek
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 19:55   #26
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
Hi All, thanks for all the posts but still need an answer to my first post is it the same part number as the engine oil switch, if not what is the Rover part no, Cheers Derek
Looking at one for sale on eBay at the moment, it does indeed look identical to the one you are quoting.
Rimmers just seem to list the one switch, but then back it up with the wording. " this Part may have multiple applications".
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 20:00   #27
rover54
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve916 View Post
Looking at one for sale on eBay at the moment, it does indeed look identical to the one you are quoting.
Rimmers just seem to list the one switch, but then back it up with the wording. " this Part may have multiple applications".
The switch quoted by the OP is used right across the Rover range. Personally I cannot see it being of any use in a power steering application as it makes at around 10psi, just enought to register you have some oil pressure in the engine.
Old 19th August 2012, 23:38   #28
savi18
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
The switch quoted by the OP is used right across the Rover range. Personally I cannot see it being of any use in a power steering application as it makes at around 10psi, just enought to register you have some oil pressure in the engine.
I cannot disconnect it as it will show a fault via the ecu, I do need to change it as it is leaking, will post when I have sorted it,Cheers Derek
Old 21st August 2012, 09:35   #29
savi18
Avid contributor

Hi all, At last found the part No by ringing Rimmers, the part No is for future ref is QGG100130 AT A COST OF £135.00, there is no way i am paying that so will try all the breakers i have tried for a Manifold,wish me luck, oh its not the same as the engine oil pressure switch which i thought it was and if you google the part no it comes with quite a few web pages, the cheapest price was £79.00 from perth which i think is in Scotland,Cheers Derek

Last edited by savi18; 21st August 2012 at 09:36.. Reason: Spelling
Old 21st August 2012, 11:42   #30
rover54
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi18 View Post
I cannot disconnect it as it will show a fault via the ecu, I do need to change it as it is leaking, will post when I have sorted it,Cheers Derek
If it was deleted from later car, why don't you try disconnecting it and see what happens. If nothing happens it should be a simple case of blanking it off.

If it's function is indeed to speed the idle up when on full lock, all that should happen is the idle speed won't increase, but then how often are you on full lock. Later cars do without it, so I cannot see why earlier cars cannot do without it.