Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th April 2009, 17:44   #11
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
I like Kenwood, wouldn't touch Sony........
I'm the exact opposite! I found my Kenwood head unit infuriating... the menu access and setup was the most user UNfriendly I've ever seen! Especially setting up the bluetooth. And every time I touched the volume control it was so easy to accidentally press it in and it would then want me to select a music style... drove me mental!

My Sony MEX-R1 on the other hand is very easy to use. Plus it allows me to put 1,000 mp3s on a DVD!

As for sound quality... nothing between them. But then I have the standard speakers in. I'm a bit sceptical about sound quality in a head unit anyway... I think there's a lot of brand snobbery about. In my opinion, any system from any major manufacturer, provided it's been set up properly will sound good. I think the nuances and differences between any two systems wouldn't be noticeable in a moving vehicle anyway. And let's face it... if you're using mp3s, then the quality of the encoding is the lowest common denominator anyway.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 18:21   #12
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I'm in the market to upgrade my head unit from the IVOX CD-80 unit I have to something a little better.

I have a low budget of £100 and if possible would like some sort of MP3 or WMA playback.

Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated.
I have just upgraded to a double din and will be selling my old unit if you are interested. It is the one i replaced my CD80 with a while ago and is the VDO 5305 mp3x, complete with I pod adapter, so you get radio, CD player that will play mp3 and an i pod adapter that you just plug your i pod into. It also only requires very slight modification to retain the steering wheel controls which i can show you. It will also fit straight in just where your CD 80 comes out. I have not advertised it on the forum yet as only completed the double din today, but will be asking £45 complete with I pod adaptor so a reasonably cheap upgrade if you dont want to spend up to your £100.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 19:45   #13
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
...but will be asking £45 complete with I pod adaptor so a reasonably cheap upgrade....
Thats a great deal, Rob.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 12:55   #14
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
Thanks Greeners.

I'm more after what makes are good at different price ranges.

JVC do some really cheap head units but I've never heard any do have no idea of the quality.

Is it worth saving up and spending more on an alpine setup or can the same quality be had for less money with a different make?
(I had an alpine setup in my Hona Accord and it was quite good)
I had a JVC head unit stolen from a Disco in Croydon - do not know if that is an endorsement for them.

From memory it sounded OK especially as it was teamed to a 12 disc changer.

Rather like Kenwood.

One of the chains in France a few months back was selling a single DIN unit with DVD playback for 99 euros.

Paul
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 14:24   #15
TaiChiMan
Tourers Rule

75 CDTi Contemporary Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermpj View Post
Hi Steve,
I've just fitted a Pioneer DEH5000UB, which is a CD/MP3/USB/Radio player with adjustable display colours (so it matches the other instruments), and an output to drive a subwoofer.

You may have to pay a shade over £100, I paid £110, on-line I've seen it as low as £105.
It's a really good unit, and sounds fantastic!
This looks very nice , pardon my ignorance but will this work with the exisiting steering wheel controls ? or would I need some extra bits ?
TaiChiMan is offline   Reply With Quote