Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2023, 18:30   #11
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

could it be the hand brake shoe rubbing? Had the problem with mine when I didnt do the adjustment properly!
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 16:05   #12
cashford

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi All

Apologies for responding to an old post but hoping to pull on knowledge an info already in the chain.

I had the rear brakes replaced on Roxy last week and a couple of times since when I have driven her, although interestingly not every time, the OSR wheel has been hot and I have been able to feel and smell the heat.

Items replaced were... Discs, Pads, shoes, caliper slider pins, carrier bolts, and of course the shoes fitting kit (springs etc)... so basically everything except the calipers themselves.

Seems that the wheel spins freely (certainly when cold) not actually been able to test when hot. Now when I say hot... we're not talking unable to touch the wheel, but certainly 'hot' and not just warm... considerably hotter than the NSR and indeed both front wheels.

I never noticed any such issue before the brakes were done so I'm placing my guess in a sticking caliper but would welcome any thoughts as I've seen a couple of comments about the wheel bearing too... But I'm basing it on there being no such issue before the brakes were done.

Any thoughts and guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks All

CHARLES
cashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 16:22   #13
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashford View Post
Hi All

Apologies for responding to an old post but hoping to pull on knowledge an info already in the chain.

I had the rear brakes replaced on Roxy last week and a couple of times since when I have driven her, although interestingly not every time, the OSR wheel has been hot and I have been able to feel and smell the heat.

Items replaced were... Discs, Pads, shoes, caliper slider pins, carrier bolts, and of course the shoes fitting kit (springs etc)... so basically everything except the calipers themselves.

Seems that the wheel spins freely (certainly when cold) not actually been able to test when hot. Now when I say hot... we're not talking unable to touch the wheel, but certainly 'hot' and not just warm... considerably hotter than the NSR and indeed both front wheels.

I never noticed any such issue before the brakes were done so I'm placing my guess in a sticking caliper but would welcome any thoughts as I've seen a couple of comments about the wheel bearing too... But I'm basing it on there being no such issue before the brakes were done.

Any thoughts and guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks All

CHARLES
Caliper piston might be sticking. You can get replacement kits, or simply replace the Caliper

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 17:24   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

jack the car u[ and spin the wheel, that will give you and idea of the problem.
If you spin it when everything is cold and it spins ok no noise but does not spin hot, you are looking at a sticking brake piston at a guess. Slacken the caliper bolts, does it now spin freely? If it does, piston is defiantly the prime suspect!

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 17:37   #15
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I’ve just changed one of my rear callipers from eBay. For £27 it wasn’t worth messing about cleaning them again
patrolman pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2024, 19:26   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... the OSR wheel has been hot ...
I've recently had exactly the same thing Charles. In fact, smoke was rising from the OSR wheel after a 65 miles journey.

I traced it to the caliper as everyone has suggested. I released it from the disc and, with a bit of assistive lubrication, I used my brake pad retraction tool to push the piston back fully. I then started the engine in order to benefit from servo assistance and pressed the brake pedal with an assistant observing the piston's movement. I repeated this a few times and it has cured the problem.

Simon
Old 10th June 2024, 08:04   #17
cashford

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks all. Really appreciate it.

I've just ordered these off eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174898727526. Looks like a job for the weekend. Or I might see if the local garage can swap them over for me as they did the back brakes a couple of weeks ago.

I do most jobs on my cars, but I don't do back brakes, they scare me!

Charles
cashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 09:18   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I've just ordered these off eBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174898727526. Looks like a job for the weekend. Or I might see if the local garage can swap them over for me as they did the back brakes a couple of weeks ago.

Charles
Hi Charles.
Get them to change the brake fluid as well at the same time, hopefully they will and not just say they have.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 16:37   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Charles
Some 30ish years ago a garage replaced the front disc pads on our car. The damn thing would not stop afterwards.
When I checked, the new pads were slightly taller then the old and so only braked on the top couple of mm and bottom couple of mm.

I've never had a garage change brake parts since on my cars.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote