Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2013, 08:52   #11
Rick estate

MG ZT-T

hi. did you get to the bottom of this? i seem to have the same leak. on the same back corner and dripping through a gap from the inside of the rear pillar and ending up in the cubby on top of the cd changer.
my thoughts were the roof rail seal, but im not so sure after reading this thread.

EDIT - i thought it was 2012. its not. its 2013. so this thread is not as new as i thought. sorry.
Rick estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:22   #12
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

I know someone with a 2004 ZT-T who had water dripping on the CD player. I'll be seeing him tomorrow night, so I'll ask if he knows if the water was getting in the same way. Or you could come to The Hollow Tree meeting tomorrow night and speak to him in person.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:43   #13
Rick estate

MG ZT-T

thanks for the reply. if you could ask him it would be great.
cant make the me meet as wednesday night is bike ride night.
think i will remove the roof rail and trim and re-seal under there.
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:19   #14
thegreatdaddo
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I had a similar water leak on my Tourer. Finding the leak spot is a very frustrating business! I finally tracked my leaks down to the weld joints in the top U channel adjacent the rubber seal for the tailgate. It leaked both sides. Water sprayed anywhere on the back of the car will drain into this channel and then down past the tailgate struts. As with your leak, the water tracks down the rear pillars and emerges below the rear windows, leaving pools in the side panel and in the spare wheel well. There was no obvious rust or cracked / missing sealant, but applying body sealant over the joints fixed the leak. I found that only proper auto seal did the job. Silicone (bath) sealant does not stick to the shiny paint surface and Duck tape is OK for a short time but eventually loosens when immersed in water. It is worth spending £20 on a tin of the proper auto body sealant. I overpainted the sealant with touch up paint and it looks as good as new. Good luck with fixing your leak!
thegreatdaddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 22:21   #15
Rick estate

MG ZT-T

thanks daddo, i will do that. im pretty sure its the same leak.
Old 4th April 2013, 06:32   #16
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Not Specific I'm Afraid

I spoke to David (ZT-T) about this last night. Unfortunately the garage that did the repair had said something along the lines that they had re-sealed the joint at the end of the roof rail. I suspect this means the seam in the bodywork, rather than where the roof rail locates to the body, but David isn't sure.
Sorry

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 21:42   #17
colb1

Rover 75 Tourer

Default How to remove interior trim to check I've stopped the leak?

Hi All
I've had this problem for a couple of years now - drips onto my sat nav unit in the cubby hole in the boot, and also makes spare wheel-well wet. Not a big drip - but big enough!
Seen Beinet's excellent explanation & pictures, & everybody else's input which makes me confident it's the welds by the roof rails. I've had a torch & mirror in the cubby hole and can see a drip on the inside of the body panel beneath the vent.
Before I get the sealer applied I wanted to be able to take the interior trim out to check current drip path before, and check it after. It's the grey plastic trim with the cubby hole that's defeating me. Anybody got any advise on this? Is it inevitable any retaining clips will break? I've taken the side carry hook out, but the panel still feels firmly attached! The Haynes manual just says release 7 clips!!!
Any advise - or pictures ! - would be much appreciated.
I'll try to keep a picture log of my efforts - if the rain ever stops!
colb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 05:04   #18
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by colb1 View Post
Hi All
I've had this problem for a couple of years now - drips onto my sat nav unit in the cubby hole in the boot, and also makes spare wheel-well wet. Not a big drip - but big enough!
Seen Beinet's excellent explanation & pictures, & everybody else's input which makes me confident it's the welds by the roof rails. I've had a torch & mirror in the cubby hole and can see a drip on the inside of the body panel beneath the vent.
Before I get the sealer applied I wanted to be able to take the interior trim out to check current drip path before, and check it after. It's the grey plastic trim with the cubby hole that's defeating me. Anybody got any advise on this? Is it inevitable any retaining clips will break? I've taken the side carry hook out, but the panel still feels firmly attached! The Haynes manual just says release 7 clips!!!
Any advise - or pictures ! - would be much appreciated.
I'll try to keep a picture log of my efforts - if the rain ever stops!
Do as the haynes manual describe. Its not to bad but a few clips may break anyway as they get brittle over the years Good luck! Mine is still bone dry in the rear after nearly 3 years after my fix
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 12:00   #19
colb1

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the reassurance - I'll give it a go when there's the prospect of a few dry days!!!
colb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 16:33   #20
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
It is strange if you have a leak there. The roof rails trim sit in channels in the roof, which are completely sealed, except for a couple of bolts, which are sealed with some paste. These bolt holes are the only physical holes into the car from the rails, or, rather, should be, if the car has been properly manufactured.
If I remember correct, I pulled the whole insert out of the channel towards the back without any problems
Kaiser - re the pic on the right in your original post (post 6 on page 1), does that blue/silver-coloured bracket mounting thing go through the metal roof, i.e. is there a hole in the metal roof panel?

The reason I ask is the last line of post 10 here. TIA

Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote