Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2014, 14:01   #181
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Do you have a military spec GPS as these are the ONLY ones that are accurate
Point taken. I actually had 125.50 seconds, and rounded to the nearest second, but how accurate is my thumb?

The point I was trying to make was the difference in the three readings. They were all done under the same conditions.

I was expecting an under-read on the GPS. I am a bit of a sceptic of these devices, probably by using GPS some 20 years ago, in aircraft, when the Americans used "Selective Availability" and deliberately degraded accuracy for civilian use. This could put you way off course, if you trusted it.

My GPS is never going to be accurate enough to put a missile through a front door, but I think in the conditions that I used (straight, level road) it was a reasonable datum to use to measure the other readings.

On the twisty, hilly, tree covered roads around Dorset though, I am yet to be convinced. I think I will stick to my speedo.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:19   #182
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, the gps system has 2 frequencies that are used, L1 and L2, your satnav device will be using the L1 frequency and can be off by 10 meters.
Military devices use both frequencies, comparing, calculating and are accurate to a few centimetres.
The point beginning is you can't compare when all have inaccuracies.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:47   #183
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Even if we accept your accuracy of 10 meters, the chances are slim, that ongoing readings will have deviations that oppose each other.

If you travel at 100kmph, the speed you cover is 100000 meters per hour, or about 30 meters per second.

Your claimed accuracy is thus equal to the distance traveled in 1/3 second.
If all readings are out by the same amount, it will not even affect the speed result at all.
It is of no significance in the scheme of things here, especially not at steady speed.

The GPS signal will be accurate to within one percent under such conditions, typically less than that.
But in stead of debating, grab your stop watch and go out and make some readings as I have done.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:50   #184
Union Wheels
Loves to post

Honda Accord Tourer i dtec

Hi Phil-T4,
you say that the position could be as much as 10 metres out, but do you know how much this would affect the MPH read out?

That is to say what is the frequency of the positioning system in relation to the speed, does it check every 10 metres; or 20 metres; or 30 metres; or 40 metres etc?

Just interested to see if it would make a significant difference to the speed read out as you seem to be well clued up on satnavs.

Pete.

How to Retrofit Diesel Cruise Control + Loom
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...87&postcount=1

How to Modify a 3 Speed Fan for CDT & V6 into a 2 Speed with a Resistor.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=209920

CDT now gone to new owner, but still on forum
Union Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:53   #185
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Thanks Phil, I would agree with this if I did not do a speed and distance calculation. However, I measured 2.1 miles in 126 seconds which equals 60mph.

If the error was 10 metres out, that would be in terms of Global Positioning, rather than speed and distance calculations. Unless, for example, there was a 10 metre error that changed to a 1 metre error during those 126 seconds

Edit: I'm too slow with Kaiser and Union Wheels above.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 2nd June 2014 at 15:55..
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:50   #186
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Guys, I have no definitive answer to this, there are too many variables and what if scenarios.

The only way to truly get accurate readings is to physically measure the distance and use laser timing to measure how long it took.

Personally i dont care if my speedo is few MPH off!
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:27   #187
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Guys, I have no definitive answer to this, there are too many variables and what if scenarios.

The only way to truly get accurate readings is to physically measure the distance and use laser timing to measure how long it took.

Personally i dont care if my speedo is few MPH off!
What is wrong with a stop watch?
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:22   #188
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Even if we accept your accuracy of 10 meters, the chances are slim, that ongoing readings will have deviations that oppose each other.

If you travel at 100kmph, the speed you cover is 100000 meters per hour, or about 30 meters per second.

Your claimed accuracy is thus equal to the distance traveled in 1/3 second.
If all readings are out by the same amount, it will not even affect the speed result at all.
It is of no significance in the scheme of things here, especially not at steady speed.

The GPS signal will be accurate to within one percent under such conditions, typically less than that.
But in stead of debating, grab your stop watch and go out and make some readings as I have done.
The 10metre error is applicable to a single reading, if a series of readings for a single point is taken and averaged, then the accuracy increases. In fact there is software able to do this for you.

If you are measuring a distance between two points using GPS, then the maximum possible error is 20m.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:52   #189
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

I was going to comment but..........

If my watch is off by a few seconds, I might die a day early.

At least the calendar is correct..............I think

Do not have time to worry about the speedo to much

Maybe we can start a thread where speed is linked to mpg.

Something like the faster you go, the more you use...

Maybe instead of mpg we should use gallons/hour.............
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:04   #190
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Tend to agree with Hermann here why the need for accuracy in speed I arrive exactly when I want to I don't even look at my speedo unless there are camera's or a law enforcement officer in his tax gathering vehicle
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote