Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th June 2024, 22:27   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Returned from my America/Canada trip

So, now having returned from my trip I will share a few details, and will gradually add some more pics, though my sojourn in North America was marred by the constant "could have/would have" thoughts.

Seattle certainly does have a strange history and though Americans cannot often relate to historic buildings of an age similar to Great Britain, there are some old buildings. By 1889 Seattle had been built using the abundance of timber available had been created on the foreshore of the Puget Sound where for some reason, the indigenous peoples did not live. The biggest saw mill apparently persuaded the new locals to use their sawdust to bolster the cement and concrete used.

Gradually the buildings started to sink into the mud, which wasn't helped by the disposal of human waste onto the mud below the buildings to go out on the tide, whoops, tides come in twice a day.

FIRE, almost the whole of the City was destroyed by fire in 1889. They rebuilt and having discovered Britains Thomas Crapper Flushing Toilets, they were rapidly installed, but all that waste, just went down to pan, onto the same mud. Following a bit of rat infestation and plague, they managed to sort that out.

Eventually almost all of the centre of the City was rebuilt, but at a higher level, which left many buildings and foundations where they can be visited today, beneath the modern streets and buildings, it really is quite strange.

"skylights" were installed in pavements as many people in the early part of the 20th century still used the underground walk ways

So, they form the pavement above......

Last edited by planenut; 26th June 2024 at 22:54..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2024, 06:21   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

No wonder they build skyscrapers over there. It's to get away from all that sh**! I'll never look at that Seattle Tower in the same way again! Enjoy!