Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2024, 09:12   #81
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Thanks Simon, it's been ages since I altered anything, inverted commas now added

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and "160", Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2024, 12:41   #82
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
We never claimed it was as you well know Steve they became known as that after we released them, after members had it dyno'd and those figures were posted that's why it's on my signature. Stop stirring the pot.

Really I suppose the "160" figure should be in inverted commas but right at this moment I can't remember how to alter my user cp to do that as I have better things to do.

One question I will ask is why every time someone enquires about a map both you and Jamie have to jump in and put in your two pennyworth to try and rubbish what we do.

Russ
I don't try and rubbish what you do, I point out that there are alternatives that can produce more power if that is what people one. My main argument is around the advertising, don't you remember the times you have said that all other maps are rubbish, mafless maps are rubbish etc?

I have always said it has more power than stock, but it doesn't produce 160bhp and never has as the car isn't capable in stock form. My argument has always mainly been around the advertising. Advertising as the "160" map is fine as that is a name, not a figure like previously.

People will still buy the map regardless, so I don't see the point in using invalid numbers to try and make out it is something that it isn't. I prefer honesty when it comes to things like this, which is what I have been pushing for for a long time, but no one has ever actually been honest about the numbers.

Most tuners go for advertising as like 10-15bhp increase rather than actual numbers because as we know all cars are different and no two will perform identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I suggest you change it to the "feels like 200bhp" map as a proper gesture towards those few who always seem to come out of the woodwork to pick up on the point.
Feels like 200bhp? Maybe 200bhp with a peak of 180lbft of torque I'd rather have 150bhp and 330lbft of torque than 160bhp and 270lbft of torque. It isn't all about the numbers.

The M47 is a good reliable engine, but when it comes to tuning most people compare it to the later E46 lump which was a technical revision of the engine which had a larger capacity as well as various physical changes, including common rail injection. The very early engine that is most similar actually had the same power outputs as the M47R but was not common rail.

The last revision of the M47 became amazing for tuning. I currently have nearly 250BHP and over 400lbft of torque coming out of mine, the Alpina turbo is huge (it is VNT) but is still limiting the power, I have over 400lbft of torque from 2300rpm all the way to the limiter
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2024, 10:42   #83
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Feels like 200bhp? Maybe 200bhp with a peak of 180lbft of torque I'd rather have 150bhp and 330lbft of torque than 160bhp and 270lbft of torque. It isn't all about the numbers.

The M47 is a good reliable engine, but when it comes to tuning most people compare it to the later E46 lump which was a technical revision of the engine which had a larger capacity as well as various physical changes, including common rail injection. The very early engine that is most similar actually had the same power outputs as the M47R but was not common rail.

The last revision of the M47 became amazing for tuning. I currently have nearly 250BHP and over 400lbft of torque coming out of mine, the Alpina turbo is huge (it is VNT) but is still limiting the power, I have over 400lbft of torque from 2300rpm all the way to the limiter

It seems that someone didn't realise my intention was what is technically known as taking the M or better the P. You really should treat yourself to a real performance car - a Jag or a Mercedes - instead of messing about with tweaking a BMW which fools no one!
Old 13th June 2024, 10:49   #84
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
It seems that someone didn't realise my intention was what is technically known as taking the M or better the P. You really should treat yourself to a real performance car - a Jag or a Mercedes - instead of messing about with tweaking a BMW which fools no one!
To be honest I don't really know anyone who would willingly buy a Jag or a Mercedes. If you had seen how cheaply they are all put together it would shock you. Jag engines are known to be massively unreliable, what about all the XEs and XFs that are really starting to rust underneath already? Have you actually sat in a modern Mercedes? Leather feels thin, all plastic is cheap and creaks, there is no quality left there at all.

I'd like to know what makes you think Jag and Mercedes make performance cars but BMW don't? What about Audi? I see you missed those off your list.

Even super cars are horrible build quality, I had a play in a 73 plate Ferrari 258 GTB the other day. Car is fast, but it doesn't feel like quality. Same as Lamborghini's, they are fast and sound nice, but build quality is so cheap. Porsche are the same, just a fancy rebadged Beetle.
Old 14th June 2024, 12:05   #85
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
To be honest I don't really know anyone who would willingly buy a Jag or a Mercedes.
Try logging onto a Jag or Mercedes forum - you'll find masses of people who own them and would buy again....and again....

Quote:
...Have you actually sat in a modern Mercedes? Leather feels thin, all plastic is cheap and creaks, there is no quality left there at all........
Yes - have sat and driven modern Mercs. Nearly bought a CLS 3.0. In the end went for the XF but it was a close thing.

You mention Audi etc. but they are not for people of class. People with class buy Jaguar and Mercedes, although BMW 5 and 6 series are now also quite popular with people of class. BMW 3-series are cheap and nasty things for people who buy them for the nameplate. Tweaked 3-series based cars are for those who were once souped-up Corsa drivers, now have more money but not really grown up!

In my case, driving the XF puts an even bigger smile on my face than the Rovers. It is pure quality and class. No issues with reliability either.
Old 14th June 2024, 12:35   #86
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Try logging onto a Jag or Mercedes forum - you'll find masses of people who own them and would buy again....and again....

Yes - have sat and driven modern Mercs. Nearly bought a CLS 3.0. In the end went for the XF but it was a close thing.

You mention Audi etc. but they are not for people of class. People with class buy Jaguar and Mercedes, although BMW 5 and 6 series are now also quite popular with people of class. BMW 3-series are cheap and nasty things for people who buy them for the nameplate. Tweaked 3-series based cars are for those who were once souped-up Corsa drivers, now have more money but not really grown up!

In my case, driving the XF puts an even bigger smile on my face than the Rovers. It is pure quality and class. No issues with reliability either.

To be honest, I can't stand the people who think they have class by buying a car. Turkey teeth, fake tan and Range Rover Evoque springs to mind.

You have the 3 series completely wrong, the 1 series is the cheap nasty one that I wouldn't go near (they are tiny too, I'm over 6ft and even with the steering wheel at max height theres not much clearance). I've had 3 and 5 series, the 5 series are more of a cruiser, but you want a nimble 3 series when having fun, the 3 series with the 2L diesel lump has nearly 50/50 weight distribution so it is incredibly fun to drive. My 535D didn't feel anywhere as nice to drive when going down fast country lanes.

The XF is going to be miles ahead of the Rover in quality. I've been in a few and I'd rather be in an XF than an Audi, a Mercedes and especially a Tesla (those things are so horrible)

If you were closer I would genuinely say take my car for a spin and see what you think, you will be genuinely surprised how well it handles everything and how well it feels.

What annoys me is with all new cars how cheap and tacky they feel. Like my E90 feels nice and solid, but go for some of these new G series and they aren't great, I had a play in an X7 G series and it felt so tacky. The door cards and centre arm rest did heat when you put the heated seats on though.

I don't think there is a modern (like last couple of years) car that I've sat in that felt really nice quality wise. You can tell we are in a throw away society with all cars just being made of easily recycled, cheap flimsy plastic
Old 14th June 2024, 13:25   #87
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
To be honest, I can't stand the people who think they have class by buying a car. Turkey teeth, fake tan and Range Rover Evoque springs to mind.

If you look at my name, I hardly need a fake tan. The teeth - those still in my mouth - are all over the place. But the XF - it is the best indication of class that a man can expose!
Old 14th June 2024, 14:51   #88
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

An absolutely stunning duotone Maybach has just this minute driven past.

Somebody's got some money

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and "160", Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 12:44   #89
alan richard
Avid contributor

75 Tourer cdti

Quote:
An absolutely stunning duotone Maybach has just this minute driven past.

Somebody's got some money

Russ
For a grand a month on PCP, we could all look like millionaires.
alan richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 20:43   #90
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
If you can get one of these for a grand on PCP then I'm up for it, where do I sign

Russ
link not working for me

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote