Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th November 2016, 11:17   #1
Bri R

MG ZT

Default Xenon dipped headlamp conversion kit for MG ZT

Hi all I've checked on Ebay, and have a couple of good leads on this, but would anyone be able to recommend a supplier of Xenon dipped headlamp conversion kits for the MG ZT please? Many thanks. Bri.
Bri R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 11:36   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri R View Post
Hi all I've checked on Ebay, and have a couple of good leads on this, but would anyone be able to recommend a supplier of Xenon dipped headlamp conversion kits for the MG ZT please? Many thanks. Bri.
They're all pretty much the same the better quality ones have a metal ballast, so really, you pays your money & takes your choice
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 12:38   #3
Juego
Gets stuck in

Skoda Superb

My mate has always sworn by and bought from hids direct, however I've had several kits all bought second hand or been given to me and never had any issues with any of them and they were cheaper sets. Just get your headlights adjusted by an mot station and you'll be fine.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 16:38   #4
Bri R

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
They're all pretty much the same the better quality ones have a metal ballast, so really, you pays your money & takes your choice
Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to pay a bit more for better quality
Old 19th November 2016, 16:40   #5
Bri R

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
My mate has always sworn by and bought from hids direct, however I've had several kits all bought second hand or been given to me and never had any issues with any of them and they were cheaper sets. Just get your headlights adjusted by an mot station and you'll be fine.
Thanks for your help and advice
Old 19th November 2016, 18:21   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Don't go above 6000K. The OEM lamps use 4300K to provide maximum luminance.
Try to find HIDs with a thin metal mounting plate/collar, which fits the bulb holders as easily as the original bulbs. Many HID units have a thick plastic collar which can be difficult.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 20:26   #7
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Don't go above 6000K. The OEM lamps use 4300K to provide maximum luminance.

TC
I would dearly like to get to the truth of the lighting of our cars.
Will HIDs improve the quality of dipped headlight when I have projector lenses ? Isn't 6000K a bit too blue, hence maybe looking more attractive to some, but not lighting the road so well to others ? And what about the MOT requirements for levelling of HIDs ?

I've tried a few combinations in the last couple of years, even expensive LED lighting, which turned out rubbish ( and, despite being assured it wouldn't, sets off the canbus warning light).

I would just like some decent intense white lighting of the road ahead on roads with no street lamps. And yes, I've spent good money on night-breakers etc. Is it just that these projector lights are not up to the job ?
I hate to admit it but I'm the one you will meet with his front fog spots on, on a dark country lane. I don't think fogs dazzle oncoming traffic myself, they shouldn't, but apologies if they do, I need to see what's in the road, better than full beams.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 20:32   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
I would dearly like to get to the truth of the lighting of our cars.
Will HIDs improve the quality of dipped headlight when I have projector lenses ? Isn't 6000K a bit too blue, hence maybe looking more attractive to some, but not lighting the road so well to others ? And what about the MOT requirements for levelling of HIDs ?

I've tried a few combinations in the last couple of years, even expensive LED lighting, which turned out rubbish ( and, despite being assured it wouldn't, sets off the canbus warning light).

I would just like some decent intense white lighting of the road ahead on roads with no street lamps. And yes, I've spent good money on night-breakers etc. Is it just that these projector lights are not up to the job ?
I hate to admit it but I'm the one you will meet with his front fog spots on, on a dark country lane. I don't think fogs dazzle oncoming traffic myself, they shouldn't, but apologies if they do, I need to see what's in the road, better than full beams.
Old 19th November 2016, 20:45   #9
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

hehe suszbu

Ok, I retract my post if it's going to start a war
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 20:52   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
hehe suszbu

Ok, I retract my post if it's going to start a war
No worries mate, been discussed loads of times You don't need washers or self leveling to pass an MOT, if they're not fitted, they can't be tested I and many others have Xenons & have had no problems come mot time
As for leds, I've tried loads &, as you say, some are not up to the mark just yet, but..........we've found some which appear to fit the bill I have them in main beam & they are excellent, still on trial for dipped http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=255104