View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:49   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Comparing ICE’s with EV’s on a like for like basis is misleading on a grand scale. From initial purchase to trade in and uptake of 2nd hand cars, and of course fuelling, it is not like-for-like.
Quite but I meant costing comparisons with other EV vehicles in the same class but a ICE vs EV comparison in the same type of class would not be a million miles off.
Quote:
We are all at the mercy of energy providers and once again the money men are in charge. Does anyone see the very recent slight reduction in domestic energy prices as barely sufficient to repair the damage to household budgets? In a stroke they backed off due to widespread criticism and booming profits.
The unit of energy price might have reduced but the daily charge yet again increased. Thus reducing any saving.
Quote:
Overnight domestic charging for EV’s is at present relatively cheaper than liquid fuel and therefore attractive. In the trade it’s known as a ‘call bird’ – in other words a come-and-buy-me front. The energy providers can of course charge, to an extent, whatever they like and always respond to markets for their product. If and when market penetration by EV’s reaches optimum levels, er, well, ‘nuff said I think.
[/quote]
That is the present and historical situation. However, with "Smart Meters" the utility companies will have the ability to do variable charging. So what at the moment is a slack period and thus the can give cheaper tariffs if 90% of the vehicles are charged overnight then this may (and probably will) create a demand that cannot be met with our present energy baseload. How do they get over that? Charge more.

I think we are basically singing from the same hymn sheet here.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote