View Single Post
Old 12th August 2016, 16:08   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr123 View Post
Mike, Harry, -- I have a multimeter, will give it a go, bit it's nigh on impossible to connect to the tiny terminals pins inside the connector either on the sensor side or up to the ABS circuit. It's the output from the sensor we are aiming to look at here right?
I also made up a cable a few years ago from an old ABS plug and socket, some speaker wire and a bit of chocblock. The original idea was to use it as an extension cable so that any ABS sensor could be plugged into the OSF and the speedometer used as a diagnostic.

Here it is being used to check a hub before fitting to the car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr123 View Post
I'm curious as to why changing a part would introduce an new ABS fault. At the moment I don't have any reported faults and a new part wouldn't do any damage to the system would it?

Mike -- how did the sensor move further away from the reluctor ring which is fixed in the hub? - The sensors are up tight against the hub backplate and held in with an 8mm bolt. Unless you had a bang on the backplate, buckling it away from the hub somehow? I'm going to check both these distances on both rear backplates to see if there is any variance, but both looked normal on the last inspection.
Very easy to damage the magnetic reluctor rings if drilling out old ABS sensors, or get a fault as I did when I replaced first the bearing due to it wearing out, and then a couple of years later, the sensor when it packed up, with non original parts.

There was no damage to the hub or backplate and no rust build up around the mounting, so likely the combination of the two aftermarket items needed a slightly smaller air gap to function correctly together.

As French Mike says: Measuring is knowing.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote