The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Replace standard cassette unit (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31044)

NikTheGeek 29th December 2008 16:24

Replace standard cassette unit

I have a standard cassette unit with CD autochanger. I'd rather have an in-dash CD player with DAB, or at least a radio with Longwave (for the cricket!!).

Presuming you can get a DIN adapter, what stereo will allow the remotes to work? What would I need to look for?

Would there be any value in the Alpine 6 CD autochanger?

tnx

Nick

rt2 29th December 2008 18:36

The cd changer can be sold on e-bay or here.

If you want a dab radio you will need another aerial, you cannot use the normal aerial.

Go to a car audio shop they will be able to advise once you choose a replacement re adapters for the steering wheel controls.

Dragrad 30th December 2008 00:05

One other point to consider..... With digital radio you either have a good signal or nothing at all. With analogue at least you can still hear with a weak signal. :)

SD1too 30th December 2008 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikTheGeek (Post 267596)
I have a ... CD autochanger. I'd rather have an in-dash CD player...

Why? What's the advantage?

Quote:

... with DAB, or at least a radio with Longwave (for the cricket!!).
Do a Google search for DAB. You'll find that it's about to be made obsolete by DAB+ and the sound quality is worse than FM.
I thought all factory-fitted audio units included the LW band.

Simon.

NikTheGeek 31st December 2008 00:19

Maybe it does come with LW :duh: I don't have the car yet, I only pick it up tomorrow (man-flu allowing).

As for the CD autochanger, never had one before so nothing to miss, and I'd like the space in the glove box back!!

Nick

SD1too 31st December 2008 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikTheGeek (Post 268142)
As for the CD autochanger ... I'd like the space in the glove box back!!

Nick,

I thought exactly the same thing when I bought my 75. Then I discovered that the owner's manual wallet fits nicely into the rear armrest, there's plenty of room for maps in the seat-back pockets, and the fascia has functional storage too. There's still some space around the CD autochanger for small items like sunglasses or gloves.

See what you think when you get the car.

Simon.

Hantsdave 31st December 2008 22:45

As for the CD changer, I'm going through the issue of uprating my sound system and am currently looking around. It depends on what you want out of it. My Jeep has a brilliant system which holds 6 CDs in a changer unit and one in the head unit, the great thing is that it all reads MP3. This means hundreds (thousands) of tracks are available to you.

The standard Rover changer (in glove box or boot) only reads standard CDs so you get a max of 130 ish tracks. As far as I know the standard 75 Audio equipment is all similarly restricting.

Having 2 teenage sons often in the car (Jeep) the audio capacity that MP3 brings is terrific and running through a very powerful Sony unit makes it almost fun. I am looking to put the Sony unit in my 75 as switching from Jeep to 75 I notice only too much the poorer sound on the Rover unit.

Oh, and by the way, my Sony unit also gets LW for TMS!!!!! wouldn't miss it.

Cheers

David.

NikTheGeek 6th January 2009 17:57

After all that, I've decided to keep it for now! :) There is enough space elsewhere in the car so I don't need the glovebox. And the fact its a cassette unit *must* make it less of a target for theives...

Nick